A multi-pronged approach drives automatic meter reading in Chartres

A multi-pronged approach drives automatic meter reading in Chartres A multi-pronged approach drives automatic meter reading in Chartres
Diehl Metering

Through a trio of smart metering systems, Diehl Metering has enabled the Greater Chartres area in northern France to automate meters readings in all its urban and rural communities. The upgrade has helped improve the billing process while increasing satisfaction among end users.

Home to 140,000 people, the Greater Chartres region is provided with water by a private-public partnership named Cm Eau. Our team in France worked with the utility to address a number of challenges related to its distribution network. These included labor-intensive data collection, wasted water and unreliable billing, which was partially due to inaccurate estimates.

Over a period of one and a half years, we supported Cm Eau to upgrade its network with our ALTAÏR volumetric meters, allowing it to transition from manual to automatic reading. To ensure we covered the entire network, we used three different systems. A fixed network was complemented by a Passive Drive-By solution, using local garbage trucks to collect data. These two solutions allowed Cm Eau to automatically read 95% of meters. For the remaining 5%, we equipped the utility with a Walk-By system.

Data is now collected weekly, or even twice a week in some areas, and is extremely reliable because the potential for human error has been eliminated. As a result, Cm Eau has implemented accurate quarterly billing, allowing households to monitor consumption and adjust their habits accordingly. This has helped increase end user satisfaction. At the same time, automatic meter reading has reduced manual labor for the utility, while also empowering it to identify leaks and preserve water resources.

You are currently using an outdated Internet browser, which is no longer supported for technical reasons. To use the Diehl website right, please use a modern browser in the latest version, such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari.


We would like to use Google Analytics to optimise the design of our website. Through this, Google collects data which is aggregated and made available to us as a statistical overview. By clicking "Agree", you consent to tracking by Google Analytics. This consent is voluntary and can be revoked at any time. If you click "Decline", no tracking will take place. For more information, please see our privacy policy.